Harness the power of the Scratch block and get started on your creative coding adventure!
KEEPIN’ IT SHORT & SNAPPY
- 5-Day online holiday camp (2hrs 20min/day)
- No experience necessary: Recommended starting course for kids 7+
- In depth intro to block-based programming
- Code with purpose: learn programming concepts and apply them to awesome games and animations
- Each booking also grants your child 20 hours of exclusive access to Galileo Online’s After School Programme for the month of June 2021.
Introducing Scratch, a visual programming language created specifically for kids. It’s a block-based programming language where kids learn to code through a simple drag-and-drop visual interface, lowering the barriers to learning for kids who aren’t yet proficient with using a keyboard.
So basically, Scratch is all the fun of coding with none of the hassle of typing!
With just a foundational understanding of Scratch, you can learn how to create your own games, animations, stories, quizzes… with coding superpowers, your imagination’s the limit!
Get creative with animations
Go all out and clone your sprite and have them dance around on the screen. With basic programming skills and knowledge, you can create whatever you want, or figure out what you need to code up what you want!
Build your own games
We’ll teach you the basics of game design – use your skills in Scratch to go wild and create your own games! Make it into a #stayhome challenge, and have the whole family come together to have some fun. 🙂
Here’s an example of a Scratch game created by a kid coder from one of our classes.
Code with purpose – now that you’ve learnt the basics of Scratch and are a pro at making animations and coding simple games, how about creating something sweet for all our essential workers out there?
Your child will require:
- A computer or laptop with a working webcam and microphone, in order to participate in class and for our instructor to check their understanding. Kindly avoid sharing devices.
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here.
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
- Google Chrome as their default web browser during classes. You may download it here.
- Installing Zoom is recommended for a smoother learning experience. You may do so here.
(For macOS computers, please enable these permission settings)
- We also recommend that you have an adult member of your household standing by for the first 45 mins of the first class to assist with any technical difficulties that may arise.
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.