App Architects 1: Design and Code Your App, [Ages 11-14], Nov 29 – Dec 3 Holiday Camp (9:30AM-12:30PM) @ Orchard
We can’t wait to see your curious kids in our classrooms for a creative coding adventure!
Book a programme by Oct 25th to save $60 – no code required.
Questions? Give us a ring at +65 3159 0980 or shoot us an email at [email protected] – we’d love to chat.
For Ages 11-14
Apps are everywhere! But have you ever wondered what goes into the making of an app?
Learn human-centered design to build mobile apps with Thunkable, an intuitive, visual programming platform that allows everyone – even kids – to build fully functional apps for both iOS and Android phones/tablets. Deploy the app on their own phones & empower them with the potential to impact the world!
KEEPIN’ IT SHORT & SNAPPY
- Conducted in person, at our classrooms. Hybrid arrangements can be made separately for kids who test positive for COVID-19, aren’t feeling well or are out on a Stay At Home Notice during the time of course. In addition, if your kid is under Health Risk Warning, please do administer the ART test and provide us with the results before you attend our classes. For both cases, please write in to us immediately for assistance.
- Design & code your own app with Thunkable
- Deploy to both iOS & Android devices
- Open Source Tools: Continue the learning at home
- No experience necessary
All you need to know
“There’s an app for that!”
Apps are an essential part of our lives, impacting us in so many ways on a daily basis.
Now imagine if anyone, even kids, could go from playing with your phones, to creating their own apps & making that same lasting impact on your lives. Wouldn’t that be awesome?
The good news is… it’s easy to get started & you’d be amazed at what kids can build.
This is Thunkable – a visual programming language that allows kids to drag, drop and connect code blocks together to build their own mobile apps.
Learn the basic principles of user design, sketch out apps with wireframes and then design the app interface.
Then learn fundamental programming concepts and apply them to control the behaviour & logic of your app.
Pick up these fundamentals in a hands-on way by building a series of apps. And then, to cap it off… Put everything you’ve learnt in creating your own app!
Here are some apps you will build!
For online format, your child will require:
- A computer or laptop with a working webcam and microphone, in order to participate in class and for our instructor to check their understanding. Kindly avoid sharing devices.
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here.
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
- Google Chrome as their default web browser during classes. You may download it here.
- Installing Zoom is recommended for a smoother learning experience. You may do so here.
(For macOS computers, please enable these permission settings)
- We also recommend that you have an adult member of your household standing by for the first 45 mins of the first class to assist with any technical difficulties that may arise.
Oh! The stuff you'll learn
- Introduction & history of the mobile app
- Getting started on Thunkable
- Wireframe & Design the User Interface
- Use cameras, image recognisers & other functionalities
- Work with databases to store and read data
- Presentation time: Share your project
Life skills you'll learn
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.
Course Outline by Day
Should government regulations advise against in-person classes, this camp will be shifted online in an abridged 2h/day format. Students will receive an email with instructions to redeem offline Sandbox sessions. Sandbox is a hands-on, application-focused experience designed for them to apply what they’ve learned creatively.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. My child is younger than 11, can he/she join this course?
It is recommended that your child try their hand at one of our courses that is aimed at 7 to 10 age band. If you feel your child, younger than 11, has had enough experience with Block Based programming, do write in to [email protected].
2. My child has their own iOS or Android phone, can he bring it?
Android tablets will be provided during the course.
Kids are encouraged to bring their own phones so that they may continue the learning at home. However, do download the Thunkable Live app (Links: iOS | Android) to see if your phone models are supported.
3. I’ve enrolled my child, what will he/she need to bring?
For offline format, we’ll provide all equipment and materials, but you may want to bring a jacket and light snacks in case he/she gets hungry.
4. My child has previously done “Mobile Madness! Make Your Magical App” with Saturday Kids before. Must he/she retake this course? What is the difference?
App Architects uses a different platform from Mobile Madness! Make Your Magical App to provide both iOS & Android compatibility. There are some common concepts but the design interface, functionality, projects built do differ.
Hence students who have taken Mobile Madness do not need to retake this course but should they do so, new material will still be covered.
While students who have taken Mobile Madness do not need to retake this course, they are encouraged to sign up for a Thunkable account and build a simple project to have the best gauge.
5. What if government regulations require this class to move online?
Should government regulations advise against in-person classes, this camp will be shifted online in an abridged 2h/day format. Students will receive an email with instructions to redeem offline Sandbox sessions – a hands-on, application-focused experience designed for them to apply what they’ve learned creatively – that will be scheduled in Term 1 of 2022.