For Ages 7-10
Understand the world and its interconnected systems through the lens of the Earth and Life Sciences. At the same time, build up foundational knowledge of computer science concepts as you apply them through thematic projects on Scratch.
- Available in hybrid format (Online & Offline)
Parents can opt for the online format, up to a week before the start of workshop
- No experience necessary
- Integrate science with code and discover the real-world applications of STEM in the world
- Dive deep into Earth Sciences – let’s learn more about climate change!
- Apply solutions to combat climate change by building a coding project in Scratch – some familiarity
All you need to know
There are many human activities that cause damage to the environment, but do you know which one?
Learn about these activities and come up with some solutions to protect our Mother Earth!
Finally, apply the knowledge of Event blocks to create a game in Scratch, where you’ll need to plant trees to combat global warming
In the process, kids develop to creativity, curiosity, and a growth mindset.
Science and coding outcomes are aligned to K12 Standards (K12 CS Framework, Next Generation Science Standards, Singapore MOE Science Syllabus, National Curriculum in England Science Programme).
For online format, your child will require:
- A computer or laptop with a working webcam and microphone, in order to participate in class and for our instructor to check their understanding. Kindly avoid sharing devices.
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here.
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
- Google Chrome as their default web browser during classes. You may download it here.
- Installing Zoom is recommended for a smoother learning experience. You may do so here.
(For macOS computers, please enable these permission settings)
- We also recommend that you have an adult member of your household standing by for the first 15 mins of the first class to assist with any technical difficulties that may arise.
Oh! The stuff you'll learn
- Identify positive and negative impact from human interaction with the environment
- Provide solutions to stop pollution
- Understand the concept of Events in Scratch
- Apply the Events concept using
when this sprite clickedblock
Life skills you'll learn
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.
Should government regulations advise against in-person classes, this workshop will be shifted online
Frequently Asked Questions
1. My child is younger than 7, can he join this course?
It is recommended that your child try their hand at one of our courses that is aimed at the 5 to 6 age group first.
2. My child is new to computers and programming. Will he / she be able to follow?
Of course! This workshop is designed for students with no prior programming knowledge.
3. What if government regulations require this class to move online?
Should government regulations advise against in-person classes, this workshop will be shifted online.