Curious Creatures, Chapter 1: Hungry Critters at Home, [Ages 5-6], Jun 21 – Jun 25 Holiday Camp (9.30am) @ Online
We can’t wait to see your curious kids in our classrooms for a creative coding adventure!
Book a programme by May 9 to save $23 – no code required.
Questions? Give us a ring at +65 3159 0980 or shoot us an email at [email protected] – we’d love to chat.
For Ages 5-6
For preschoolers new to the world of code, learn basic computational thinking to tell your favourite stories creatively through Scratch Jr!
- For preschoolers with no coding experience: Recommended starting course for kids ages 5-6!
- 5-Day Online Holiday Camp
- Kids collaborate, co-operate and get creative online in their first taste of coding through story-telling with Scratch Jr
All you need to know
In this 5-day introductory course to programming for preschoolers, we will be going on a journey with a very hungry caterpillar to explore basic concepts in programming!
Through bite-sized daily lessons designed to match preschoolers’ attention span and interests, kids will co-operate and collaborate with their classmates to narrate Eric Carle’s classic storybook – The Very Hungry Caterpillar – through code, using Scratch Junior. Without the hassle of programming on their individual devices, kids will be collaborating to provide instructions to their instructor who’ll be acting as their hands and legs!
By the end of this short course, preschoolers will learn not just about curious critters like caterpillars, but discover how to apply code to create animations and tell stories of their choosing.
Your child will require:
- A working webcam and microphone, in order to participate in the class and for our instructor to check their understanding.
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here.
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
- Installing Zoom is recommended for a smoother learning experience. You may do so here.
(For macOS computers, please enable these permission settings)
- We also recommend that students have an adult member of their household standing by for Lesson 1 to assist with any technical difficulties that may arise.
- A printer to print out accompanying worksheets (black and white is fine)
- Scissors and glue.
Note for parents: if you feel your child is not able to use scissors and glue independently, please be available to assist. Activities involving scissors and glue will take place during Lessons 2, 3 and 5
Oh! The stuff you'll learn
- Pick up the basics of computational thinking
- Learn the fundamentals of programming through Scratch Jr
- Discover how programming concepts can be applied beyond computers
Life skills you'll learn
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. My child is new to computers and programming. Will he / she be able to follow?
This course is targeted at kids ages 5-6 without any prior programming experience. Our objective is to introduce them to the computers and coding in an enjoyable, creative, and accessible way, and we’ve designed our curriculum for kids to have fun and get inspired while they learn, leaving them hungry to learn even more!
2. My child has some exposure to coding at school. Should he/she still attend this course?
This is an introductory course for kids with no programming background. We will be focusing on the basics of Scratch Jr, and we encourage kids who have already learned Scratch Jr to explore our other courses for preschoolers: Curious Cubs and Tiny Techies.
3．My child is younger than 5 years old . Can he/she join?
Unfortunately we are not able to accommodate students younger than ５.
4. What will my child need for the class?
Classes will be conducted via Zoom conferencing. Your child will need an iPad or a laptop/desktop computer with webcam/video conferencing and their microphone enabled. We will be using password-secured classrooms which will be locked once the class has begun. Please note that kids will not be programming on their own devices, but will instead be collaborating and co-operating to providing instructions to their instructor who will be their arms and legs, coding on a separate device.
5. Is parent participation required and/or encouraged in this course?
Active participation is neither required nor encouraged; however we do recommend that a parent be present to supervise their child in terms of tech trouble-shooting where necessary.