Dive into the world of HTML, CSS and more to code up interactive web-based projects, starting with your own portfolio site and wiki page.
KEEPIN’ IT SHORT & SNAPPY
- Recommended for kids with programming experience (Start with Scratch or equivalent)
- An intermediate course focussed on the creative application of web technologies to global issues
- Discover how code can be used to explore, analyse and communicate big ideas
- The 1st of 4 progressive modules centered around applying web-based technology to develop impactful projects
Welcome to the exciting intersection of where code meets world!
In this first module – Insane Inventions, Brilliant Breakthroughs, and the World Wide Web – kids dive into the world of web-based technologies as they get their hands dirty with HTML, CSS and explore the universe of Github and more.
Over the course of 8 weeks, students will be exposed to eye-opening inventions and scientific breakthroughs that have shaped modern society, and get inspired by the big ideas that shape how we live, work and play today.
Combining this knowledge with their new skills, kids will get creative building their own portfolio site and personal Wiki to showcase what they’ve learned about brilliant breakthroughs, insane inventions, and the world wide web.
Projects like this…
… and this:
Now that you’ve seen how other ordinary people have used their superpowers to change the world, this is just the start! Build on what you’ve learned about coding and the world in the next module: Amazing Animations, Pressing Problems, & Story-telling for Social Impact, coming September 2020.
Be a part of our pilot – indicate your interest here, and we’ll get back to you with the details in a jiffy.
- An overview of programming and web based technologies – what they are, why they’re so powerful, and how to leverage their potential
- Essay writing skills and reflection: Understand the significant inventions and breakthroughs that shape the world we live in today and how they affect you
- The Zwicky Box, a method for ideation and brainstorming
- How to code a website and personal Wiki page using coding languages like HTML and CSS, and platforms like Github
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.
1. Who is this course suitable for?
This course is recommended for kids ages 11-14 who have Scratch experience and who have an interest in social and/or global issues.
2. What is Code Meets World?
Code Meets World is a progressive, year-long program comprising 4 terms of 8 weekly 2 hour classes. Students are required to complete one module before progressing to the next one as the curriculum is designed sequentially and progressively to develop kids’ skills and awareness holistically.
3. I’ve enrolled my child, what will he/she need for class?
Classes will be conducted via Zoom conferencing (until further notice!). Your child will need a laptop/desktop computer with a webcam/video conferencing and their microphone enabled. We will be using password secured classrooms which will be locked once the class has begun.
Got More Questions?
Read our F.A.Q.