Code & Invent with Micro:bit Block Editor, [Ages 7-10], Dec 13 – Dec 17 Holiday Camp (2:00PM-5:00PM) @ Bukit Timah
We can’t wait to see your curious kids in our classrooms for a creative coding adventure!
Questions? Give us a ring at +65 3159 0980 or shoot us an email at [email protected] – we’d love to chat.
For Ages 7-10
By the end, kids are not only introduced to important programming concepts in a gentle visual programming interface, they will understand how objects can be created with a mix of both hardware & software & go on to create their very own inventions. The possibilities are ENDLESS!
Keepin’ it Short & Snappy
- Conducted in person, at our classrooms. Hybrid arrangements can be made separately for kids who test positive for COVID-19, aren’t feeling well or are out on a Stay At Home Notice during the time of course. In addition, if your kid is under Health Risk Warning, please do administer the ART test and provide us with the results before you attend our classes. For both cases, please write in to us immediately for assistance.
- Coding + Hands-On
- Visual coding interface: Perfect for younger kids
- Continue the Learning: Bring your micro:bit home
- Requires Start with Scratch or equivalent block-based programming experience
All you need to know
This is a BBC micro:bit.
It’s a “pocket-sized micro-computer” designed by BBC for computer education in the UK that allows you to create super cool inventions. Kids use a simple block editor interface to create…
A heart beat.
A Rock, Paper, Scissors Handheld Game. That ROCKS!
A Don’t touch the wire circuit game.
Kids learn not only to code, but to apply their new found programming superpowers to a variety of real world projects. This all culminates in a final project where kids get to solve a problem scenario of their choice using micro:bit!
Oh! The stuff you'll learn
- Code a beating LED Heart with micro:bit
- Make it Useful – Code a Random Dice
- Sound it out – Make a Keyboard, Shaky hand buzzer game
- Code a Rock, Paper, Scissors Game
- Build Mini Games with the Radio feature on micro:bit
- Project Time: Solving real world problems with micro:bit
- Share & Present
Life skills you'll learn
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.
Course Outline by Day
Should government regulations advise against in-person classes, this camp will be shifted online in an abridged 2h/day format. Students will receive an email with instructions to redeem offline Sandbox sessions. Sandbox is a hands-on, application-focused experience designed for them to apply what they’ve learned creatively.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. My child is younger than 7. Can he/she join?
This course is for kids ages 7-10. If your child is still in preschool, we recommend our Curious Cubs or Tiny Techies 1 course instead.
2. My child has not taken Start with Scratch. Can she/he join this course?
It is highly recommended that the child has prior background in block based programming.
3. I’ve enrolled my child, what will he/she need to bring?
We’ll provide all equipment and materials. Though you might want to bring a jacket and light snacks in case he/she gets hungry.
4. What if government regulations require this class to move online?
Should government regulations advise against in-person classes, this camp will be shifted online in an abridged 2h/day format. Students will receive tickets for offline Sandbox sessions – a hands-on, application-focused experience designed for them to apply what they’ve learned creatively – that will be scheduled in Term 1 of 2022.