If you’re going to learn how to code, why not pick up one of the most versatile and powerful programming languages on the planet? Be introduced to basic computer science concepts with Python!
KEEPIN’ IT SHORT & SNAPPY
- No experience necessary
- An introduction to basic computer science concepts
- Code like a real programmer with a text-based language!
- Create interesting games you can play with your friends and family
Unraveling the power of binary
You can pretty much code anything with Python, but let’s start off with the basics by learning about binary code and how it works. Take a stab at figuring out how to convert binary numbers into code and vice-versa.
Think of all the secret messages you’ll be able to send your siblings and friends with binary code…
You’ll also be building simple projects with your code. Like this calculator:
And you’ll be taking your first steps to writing your own code and doin’ some debugging.
Apply your knowledge of modules and coordinates to unleash turtle drawing mayhem! You’ll be able to create infinite geometrical shapes and code your turtle to become your very own tiny Picasso.
With the solid basic programming concepts you’ll learn from Python, you’ll be well-placed to pick up other programming languages in the future. So let your journey to programming awesomeness begin!
Your child will require:
- A working mic and webcam, in order to participate in the class and for our instructor to check their understanding
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here: https://www.speedcheck.org/sg
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as: typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
- Binary: how computers run on 1s and 0s
- Write your first lines of Python code using repl – an online programming interface that doesn’t require any installation
- Explain basic programming concepts (algorithm, conditionals, data structures, data types, functions, loops, variables)
- Create programs using Python
- Write a detailed step-by-step set of instructions which explains how to solve a problem (pseudo code)
- Understand and practice working with the Command Line Interface (CLI)
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.
1. My child is new to computers and programming. Will he / she be able to follow?
The Back to Basics: Zeroes to Python Heroes course is designed with the assumption that students have no prior background or experience in programming. All students new to programming are more than welcome.
2. My child is younger than 11. Can he / she join?
The Back to Basics: Zeroes to Python Heroes course is recommended for kids who are 11 and above. If your child is new to programming, we recommend enrolling in our Start with Scratch course first.
3. I’ve enrolled my child, what will he/she need for class?
Classes will be conducted via Zoom conferencing. Your child will need a laptop/desktop computer with a webcam/video conferencing and their microphone enabled. We will be using password secured classrooms which will be locked once the class has begun.
Please also refer to the requirements for equipment listed above.
Got More Questions?
Reach out to us →