For Kids aged 7-13
Go back in time and be inspired by the first creatures to walk the Earth – dinosaurs! Build your own robot dinosaurs with robotics, code and electronics!
Using a Hummingbird Robotics Kit and craft materials, kids will use their imagination and skills to build an electronic dinosaur that interacts with its surroundings!
KEEPIN’ IT SHORT & SNAPPY
- No experience necessary
- Design, engineer and build robotic animals from Scratch
- Power hardware and electronics with code
- Hummingbird Kit and craft materials provided for in-class use only.
All you need to know
Dinosaur lovers unite! Or should we say robot dinosaur lovers.
It’s not just about lots of strategic cutting and pasting to build the dinosaur, kids will have to figure out what they want their animals to do too. How will they get their T-Rex’s tiny arms to wave, or the Brontosaurus’ neck to extend up, or the Triceratops to move it’s mighty head when someone comes close to it?
Use Scratch programming to control motors, motion sensors and other electronic parts. Then, watch your dinosaur come to life and interact with the world around it!
They’ll also combine that with engineering concepts and techniques like learning how to build a pulley system or a scissor linkage mechanism. Then it’s all about prototyping, seeing what went wrong and making improvements until they create the ULTIMATE robot dinosaur!
Oh! The stuff you'll learn
Broken down into concepts for MAXIMUM learnin'
- Introduction to the Hummingbird Kit (simple circuits, LEDs, servos and sensors)
- Craft Engineering & Designing
- Introduction to Animatronics
- Understanding Mechanisms (camshafts, pulley systems) and replicating to mimic real movements
- Coding and Debugging
- Using Design Thinking to Prototype
- Share & Present: On your last day, share with your parents what you’ve learnt!
Life skills you'll learn
Skills that last a lifetime
Saturday Kids don't learn to code. They code to learn.
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.
Parents love us
Children from our camp enjoyed themselves exploring and learning what the different animation tools could do for them. They were particularly excited to see their own creations come alive.
I've been meaning to write to you to let you know that my son loved his workshop with Saturday Kids in June and I will be enrolling my daughter too for the beginners course that you are doing in October
It is wonderful to hear their enthusiasm and excitement when they talk about their Scratch classes, the words epic and awesome are frequently used!
Your kid will love it.
If your kid doesn't think it's the best thing ever after the attending the first 2 days, we'll issue you a credit note for 50% of the course fee. No questions asked.
- 1:6 Maximum Instructor-Student Ratio
- All equipment & materials provided
- Open source tools: Continue the learning at home!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. My child is new to computers and programming. Will he / she be able to follow?
Prehistoric Predators: The Wild World of Tech is designed with the assumption that students have at least an understanding of block programming with Start with Scratch.
2. My child is younger than 7. Can he/she join?
Prehistoric Predators: The Wild World of Tech is recommended for kids who are 7 and above. If your child is still in preschool, we recommend Curious Cubs or Tiny Techies which can be found on our schedule page.
3. I’ve enrolled my child, what will he/she need to bring?
We’ll provide all equipment and materials, but you may want to bring a jacket and light snacks in case he/she gets hungry.
4. Can I bring home the Hummingbird Kit?
No. The Hummingbird Kit is provided for in-class use only. You may however purchase the Hummingbird Kit from us separately if you’re interested!
5. How’s Prehistoric Predators different from Build A Robo-pet?
This course delves much deeper into mechanical engineering concepts so you can build way cooler robot dinosaurs.