For preschoolers new to the world of code, learn basic computational thinking to tell your favourite stories creatively through Scratch Jr!
- For preschoolers with no coding experience: Recommended starting course for kids ages 5-6!
- Online camp of 45 minute bite-sized classes x 5 days
- Kids collaborate, co-operate and get creative online in their first taste of coding through story-telling with Scratch Jr
In this 5-day (45 minutes/day) introductory course to programming for preschoolers, we will be going on a journey with a very hungry caterpillar to explore basic concepts in programming!
Through bite sized daily lessons (45 minutes each) designed to match preschoolers’ attention span and interests, kids will co-operate and collaborate with their classmates to narrate Eric Carle’s classic storybook – The Very Hungry Caterpillar – through code, using Scratch Junior. Without the hassle of programming on their individual devices, kids will be collaborating to provide instructions to their instructor who’ll be acting as their hands and legs!
By the end of this short course, preschoolers will learn not just about curious critters like caterpillars, but discover how to apply code to create animations and tell stories of their choosing.
Your child will require:
- A working mic and webcam, in order to participate in the class and for our instructor to check their understanding
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here: https://www.speedcheck.org/sg
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as: typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
- For students age 5-6, and 7-10, we also recommend that you have an adult member of your household standing by for the first 45 mins of Lesson 1 to assist with any technical difficulties that may arise.
- A printer to print out accompanying worksheets (black and white is fine)
- Scissors and glue.
Note for parents: if you feel your child is not able to use scissors and glue independently, please be available to assist. Activities involving scissors and glue will take place during Lessons 2, 3 and 5
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.