For preschoolers new to the world of code, learn basic computational thinking to tell your favourite stories creatively through Scratch Jr!
- Perfect follow on to Curious Creatures, Chapter 1: Hungry Critters
- 5-Day Online Holiday Camp
- Kids collaborate, co-operate and get creative with Scratch Jr
- Learn new concepts in programming and apply your learnings to reimagine and recreate the The Tale of Peter Rabbit with code, together with your new friends
In this 5-day bite-sized course, we will apply our creativity and learn new coding concepts to reimagine the story of a beloved bunny, using Scratch Jr!
Through bite-sized daily lessons designed to match preschoolers’ attention span and interests, kids will collaborate with code to narrate Beatrix Potter’s beloved kids’ classic – The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
Synergising offline craft activities that help kids visualise concepts in programming and application via Scratch Jr, preschoolers discover the relevance of code to different experiences in the world.
This 5-day class will be held online via Zoom; a set of printed worksheets will be needed and students will need access to an iPad or Laptop with webcam, microphone and wi-fi capabilities.
Your child will require:
- A working webcam and microphone, in order to participate in the class and for our instructor to check their understanding.
- Internet speed of 25Mbps or above. You can check your internet speed here.
- Familiarity with basic computer functions, such as typing on a keyboard, using a mouse, switching between desktop apps and navigating a browser (opening a new tab, entering URLs)
- Installing Zoom is recommended for a smoother learning experience. You may do so here.
(For macOS computers, please enable these permission settings)
- We also recommend that students have an adult member of your household standing by for Lesson 1 to assist with any technical difficulties that may arise.
- A printer to print out accompanying worksheets (black and white is fine)
- Scissors and glue.
Note for parents: if you feel your child is not able to use scissors and glue independently, please be available to assist.
No lectures. No memorisation. No ONE right answer. Like real life, we're all about trying things out yourself, failing, figuring what went wrong & trying again. These are the skills & mindset that will last a lifetime and how we learn in real life. Let's get kids to learn how to learn. Because the kids who learn to learn become curious, inventive, resourceful human beings who solve real world problems to make a meaningful impact.